|Qualification||B.E.(Civil), M.Tech, Ph.D (IIT Bombay),C.Eng., FIE(I), LMISTE|
|E – mail email@example.com|
|Area of Specialization||Civil Engineering|
|Affiliation||Department of Civil Engineering, S.E.A.C.E.T, VTU|
|Course||Specialization||Institution||Year of Passing|
|Ph.D||Geotechnical Engg||I.I.T. Bombay||1995|
|M.Tech||Geotechnical Engg||I.I.T. Bombay||1990|
|B.E.||Civil Engineering||Mysore University M.C.E. Hassan||1983|
M. Tech. Thesis title : ( IIT Bombay, 1990)
“Bearing Capacity of Reinforced Sand Subgrades”.
Ph.D. Thesis title : ( IIT Bombay, 1995)
“Stress Deformation Behaviour and Bearing Capacity of Geofabric Reinforced Soils”.
Professional Experience :
i) as principal of Engineering College : 14 yrs
ii) Teaching experience in Engg. College : 30years
iii) Research Experience in Foreign University : 3 years
iv) TOTAL EXPERIENCE : 33 Yrs.
Area of Interest :
i) Application of ‘Reinforced Earth’ technique for bearing capacity improvement of shallow foundations, Experimental and numerical modelling.
ii) Developing educational softwares for interactive computer aided teaching for students in Civil Engineering.
Strength of Materials,
Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering,
Building Construction & Civil Engineering Drawing,
Computer Applications to Civil engineering.
Also guided several projects for final year U.G. students (Civil).
* Programming in C/C++, with knowledge about using multi-media in software development.
* Use of Authorware tool for developing presentation software in Windows environment.
* Experimental and numerical modelling of soil-structure interaction problems (Reinforced Earth).
Research Experience in Foreign University:
3 years of postdoctoral Research experience in reputed Universities at Hong Kong in relevant areas mentioned below :
i) Worked as ‘Research Assistant’ under Prof. J.Neil Kay in the Department of Civil & Structural Engineering for one year (May 1996 to May 1997) at the University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. Associated with a project on developing “Interactive Computer aided Teaching softwares for students in Civil Engineering”. Contributed to developing a software on computer simulation of Direct Shear test, using C++ for windows including multi-media features.
ii) Worked as ‘Visiting Scholar’ for two years (May 1997-May 1999) under Dr. K.M.Lee in the Department of Civil Engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong. Carried out experimental investigations to determine interfacial friction between soil and geotextiles using large friction-shear machine. Worked on numerical modelling of footings on geotextile reinforced soil system using a commercial software called ‘PLAXIS’. The outcome of the experimental and numerical analysis has been three papers, all published in Canadian Geotechnical Journal.
University Nominated Committees/Boards/ etc.
i) Member, Academic Senate, VTU, Belgaum.
ii) Chairman, Board of Examiners (Civil), VTU, Belgaum.
iii) Chairman, Local Inquiry Committee of VTU Belgaum.
iv) Member of VTU Kannada Books Publications Committee
v) Member Committee for skill development activities for VTU students
vi) Member VTU Library committee
vii) Member Committee on Reforms in existing evaluation system of VTU
viii) VTU Nominee for Academic Council of Dr. A.I.T. Bangalore
ix) VTU Nominee for Governing Council of KNSIT, Bangalore
x) Served as Member of Board of Examiners of Kuvempu University
xi) Served as Member of Board of Examiners & Board of Studies of Kuvempu University
Membership of professional/Academic bodies :
i) Fellow – of Institution of Engineers(India) [FIE], Membership Grade & No. F108647-9
ii) Chartered Engineer – Institution of Engineers(India) [C.Eng(I)]
iii) Life member of Indian Society for Technical Education(ISTE), Membership No. 02009.
iv) Honorary Life member of Chikmagalur Civil Engineers’ Association
Honours and Awards Received:
i) Recipient of National Award for the best technical paper on ‘Shallow Foundations’ published through the Indian Geotechnical Society, for the year 1994.
ii) Recipient of “THE BEST CITIZENS OF INDIA – 2001” Award: for outstanding contribution to the field of Civil Engineering – awarded by ‘The International Publishing House – New Delhi’
iii) Recipient of “SAMAJA RATHNA” State Award – 2007 – in recognition of significant services in the field of Technical Education – awarded by Jnana Mandhara Educational and Cultural Academy, Bangalore.
iv) Recipient of “ EMINENT EDUCATIONIST” Award -2011, for outstanding achievements in the field of Education – awarded by National & International Compendium, New Delhi.
v) Recipient of “ RAJIV GANDHI EDUCATION EXCELLENCE AWARD – 2012” for outstanding achievements in the field of Education – awarded by International Institute of Education & Management, New Delhi.
Papers Presented at International conferences:
1. 2nd International Symposium on Structures and Foundations in Civil Engineering, Hong Kong,(1997).
2. International Symposium on Earth Reinforcement, Fukuoka, Japan, (1996).
3. International Conference on Fibre Reinforced Structural Plastics in Civil Engineering, Madras, India, (1995).
4. International Conference on Land slides, Slope Stability and Safety of Infra-Structures, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, (1994).
5. 5th International Conference on Geotextiles, Geomembranes and Related Products, Singapore, (1994).
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS :
1. Lee, K.M. and Manjunath, V.R. (Aug. 2000). Experimental and Numerical Studies of Geosynthetic Reinforced Sand Slopes Loaded with a Footing. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 828-842..
2. Lee, K.M. and Manjunath, V.R. (Feb. 2000). Soil – Geotextile Interface Friction by Direct Shear Tests. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 238-252..
3. Lee, K.M., Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (Oct.1999.). Numerical and Model Studies of Strip Footing Supported by Reinforced Granular fill-Soft soil System. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 793-806.
4. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1997). Shape and Size Effects of Foundation on Bearing Capacity of Geotextile Reinforced Two-Layer Soil System. Proc. 2nd International Symposium on Structures and Foundations in Civil Engineering, Hong Kong, pp. 237-241.
5. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1996). Bearing Capacity of Inclined Loaded Footing on Geotextile Reinforced Two-Layer Soil System. Proc. International Symposium on Earth Reinforcement, Fukuoka, Japan, pp. 619-622.
6. Govindaraju, N., Manjunath, V.R. and Mallinatha, V. (1995). Experimental Stress Analysis of Fibre Reinforced Composite Plastics by Reflection Moire Technique. Proc. International Conference on Fibre Reinforced Structural Plastics in Civil Engineering, Madras, pp. 171-182.
7. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1995). Stability Analysis of Footing on Slope by Logarithmic Spiral Method. Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Bangalore, pp. 287-290.
8. Mandal, J.N. and Manjunath, V.R. (1995). Bearing Capacity of Strip Footing Resting on Reinforced Sand Subgrades. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, U.K., Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 35-38.
9. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1995). Performance of Geosynthetic Reinforced Foundation Subjected to Eccentric Loads. Proc. National Conference on Civil Engineering Materials and Structures, Hyderabad, pp. 178-182.
10. Mandal, J.N. and Manjunath, V.R. (1994). Experimental Study on the Potential of Geosynthetics for Bearing Capacity Improvement. Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Warangal, pp. 275-278.
11. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1994). An Experimental Study of Strip Footing Resting on Geosynthetic Reinforced Slope. Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Warangal, pp. 271-274.
12. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1994). Potential of Geosynthetics for the stability of Loaded Footing on Slopes. Proc. International Conference on Land slides, Slope Stability and Safety of Infra-Structures, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 243-248.
13. Manjunath, V.R. and Dewaikar, D.M. (1994). Model Footing Tests on Geofabric Reinforced Granular Fill Overlying Soft Clays. Proc. 5th International Conference on Geotextiles, Geomembranes and Related Products, Singapore, pp. 327-330.
14. Mandal, J.N., Mhaiskar, S.Y. and Manjunath, V.R. (1991). Bearing Capacity of Reinforced Sand by Finite Element and Experimental Method. Proc. XXII Ohio River Valley Soils Seminar, Lexington, Kentucky, USA, PP. 16-1 to 16-6.
15. Mandal, J.N., Mhaiskar, S.Y. and Manjunath, V.R. (1990). Experimental and Finite Element Analysis on Bearing Capacity of Geosynthetic Reinforced Sand. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, U.K., Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 45-48.
16. Mandal, J.N. and Manjunath, V.R. (1990). Bearing Capacity of Single Layer of Geosynthetic Sand Subgrade. Proc. Indian Geotechnical Conference, Bombay, Vol. 1, pp. 7-10.